Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Update

I know it's been pretty dead here lately, and I just wanted to throw up a little note about why. The long and the short of it is a lack of time. It's not so much a lack of time to update, it's more a lack of time to find new and amazing music that I want to write about. My intention when I started this site was to go with quality over quantity, and I think I have done a pretty good job of that. Lately, however, between working a full time job and spending a considerably larger amount of my time socializing with my friends (ie not being in front of my computer) I just am not exposing myself to the amount of new music that I once was. With all that being said, I still have a burning passion for music and I still have a passion for this site and for helping spread good music to people through my writing and the music I host. In the past, I have attempted to write mostly about fairly new music, attempting to not just rehash what has already been spoken about at length. Every time I search for a band or a song on elbo.ws or hype machine and I see that 50 blogs have all posted the same song or video and written essentially the same thing about them all within a few days of each other I question the idea of posting something about it myself. If something is extraordinary then I don't hesitate to throw something up about it, because at the end of the day, I started this site for my friends and not all of them spend as much time reading music blogs as I do. Where this is all leading is this, I've decided that the idea of trying to keep myself on the forefront of everything new and amazing is simply not possible given my commitments, I am going to start writing about the music I love, regardless of when it was released. Don't get me wrong, the majority of content will undoubtedly be about new band X or new song Y that has recently caught my ear, but no longer am I going to decide not to write something up because it was released in 2006 and I am just hearing about it now for the first time. No longer am I going to let the phrase, "That's already been done" affect what I put up. Hopefully, this will free me up to post more. Only time will tell how this affects things like my site traffic and where I get linked from, etc. Those things aren't the reason I started The Sound Of Marching Feet anyway. I'm just going to write about and put up good music that I like, and if a couple of people haven't heard it before and get into a new band because of it, at the end of the day my goals will have been met. Hopefully there will be more than just explanations and blank spaces at this url in the future.

-Danny

PS - If any of my fellow bloggers are reading this, have any of you gone through this before? How did you overcome it? Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I've only been running this thing for 6 months or so and I'm still pretty wet behind the ears.

0 Comments:

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks