Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cymbals Eat Guitars


I fell hard for a new band this week, and that band is Cymbals Eat Guitars. You've probably heard the name this week since their debut album Why There Are Mountains was awarded the coveted Best New Music tag by Pitchfork. I'm far from a Pitchfork fan boy, but as a rule, I generally check out anything that makes their list and holy crap am I glad I decided to check this band out. First off, how great is that name? It's so perfectly evocative of how Rock and Roll should be. I've heard many a review cite Pavement, and it's an apt comparison here as Cymbals Eat Guitars sound like the band both musically and vocally at times, but there is more here than just Malkmus wanking. Why There Are Mountains perfectly rides the line between enthusiastic and sloppy and betwixt the two lies a plane of perfectly constrained energy that I just can't get enough of. They aren't playing any SXSW shows (boo!) but I can't see them escaping nationwide touring for too long, so let's hope we see them coming through town in the next couple of months.

Myspace

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Another Hazy Sea

Buy Why There Are Mountains here

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks