Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight


One of the best performances I took in during the entirety of SXSW was Frightened Rabbit at the British/Scottish Music Embassy (Latitude 30). They played a blistering set that's energy and volume more than overcame the usual SXSW sound problems. I was interested after a few chords and enthralled by the time their sweating, screaming, beast of a drummer demolished his kit and stormed offstage amidst ample applause from the crowded house at the end of their all too short set. The Midnight Organ Fight (due out 4/15 on FatCat) captures plenty of the bands live energy, but also allows them to show off their quieter. Second half standout "Poke" shows that there is some beautiful songwriting going on in between all of the crashes and the feedback. "Poke" is a beautifully ragged song of love gone south and features some outstanding lyrical passages, including my personal favorite, "Why won't our love keel over as it chokes on a bone/ then we can mourn it's passing/ and then bury it in snow". "Poke" is the first song I've heard this year that has so fiercely grabbed my attention. I listen to it over and over and just can not get enough right now. The entire album is fantastic and I'm hoping to see the band come through later this summer or early fall.

Frightened Rabbit - Poke

Preorder The Midnight Organ Fight here

3 Comments:

Lizzie said...

Wow, I just saw your post on my (yes, it's true) blog. Actually, I find it very challenging to keep up with it and many times I have the old debate in my head about whether blogging is just a huge narcissistic thing. BUT, then I just keep posting. Glad you like the design! I found that blogspot considerably limited my artistic design, but somehow I managed. LATER

Matthew said...

Frightened Rabbit remind me of home.

I still like your blog. I just don't have one of my own at the moment. I was the other 1/2 of Shaved Orange, but not so much anymore. I've been following your site since you posted about the Weakerthans. John K. Samson is a hero where I come from. I don't remember how I came across the site, but it wasn't through hypem or anything like that.

Thanks for the blog love anyways.
Matthew.

jen said...

danny. i am a proper detective.

that record you told me about is breathtaking. this song is rather magical as well.

your ears are better than most

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks