Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My favorite songs of the year.

My intention was to make this a big post, just like the albums post I made last week, but I've been a combination of really busy with this new jibby job of mine and a bit lazy too. So, here we are over a week after I said I'd put this up and I'm just now doing it. Eh, in the immortal words of Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein, "Could be worse, it could be raining". So, without further ado, here's my 28 favorite songs of the year in no order whatsoever. Why 28? If I had spent more time, it probably would have been 128, I just stopped at 28. Rather than tell you why I love these songs so much, I'm going to let these poets' words speak for themselves. Enjoy.


The National - Mistaken For Strangers

Make up something to believe in your heart of hearts
so you have something to wear on your sleeve of sleeves
so you swear you just saw a feathery woman
carry a blindfolded man through the trees
Andrew Bird - Dark Matter
When I was just a little boy
I threw away all of my action toys
When I became obsessed with operation
Okkervil River - Unless It's Kicks
What a dream in the dark
About working so hard
About growing so stoned
Trying not to turn up
Trying not to believe in the light
On your own
Songs of Green Pheasant - Boats
This song is so beautiful and Duncan mumbles a bit so just listen.

Radiohead - All I Need

It's all wrong
It's all right
It's all wrong
It's all right
Low - Murderer
Don't act so innocent
I've seen you pound your fist into the earth
And I've read your book
It seems that you could use another fool
Well I'm cruel
And I look right through
Animal Collective - Fireworks
Attractive day in the rubble of the night from before.
I can't walk in a vacuum, I feel ugly, feel my pores.
It's the trees of this day that I do battle with for the light.
Then I start to feel tragic, people greet me, I'm polite.
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan,
and the next five years trying to be with your friends again.
LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
The worst is all the lovely weather,
I'm sad, it's not raining.

The coffee isn't even bitter,
Because, what's the difference?
Bright Eyes - Coat Check Dream Song
I slept with that dealer all summer
The ecstasy is still in my spine

Coat Check I couldn't remember

Walked into the winter, came out on the other side
Beirut - Cliquot
Set fire to foundation and burn out the station
You'll never get nothing of mine

The pane of my window will flicker and billow

I won't leave a stitching behind
Jose Gonzalez - Cycling Trivialities
Don't know which way to turn.
Every trifle becoming big concerns.

All this time you were chasing dreams,

without knowing what you wanted them to mean.
Kevin Drew - Tbtf
slice my eyes took me through
another night that goes all night through

tries to seize what their hearts have lost

my best friend took me in

laid me down beside my own sins

and I said "can you
please forgive the love?"
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
My greatest fear
I fantasized

The days were long

The weeks blew by

Before I knew

I was awake

My days were through

It was too late
Sigur Ros - I Gaer
I don't speak Icelandic

Spoon - Finer Feelings
I was part-time at the Tasty Prawn
That and moving furniture and cutting lawns

Covered in newsprint, staying up real late

Just holding out for some fate
The Twilight Sad - That Summer, At Home I Became The Invisible Boy
and fourteen and you know
that I'm looking the wrong way
and is the past outside

or in this lovely home
Kings of Leon - Knocked Up
I don't care what nobody says, no
I'm going to be her lover
Always mad and usually drunk
But I love her like no other
Menomena - Muscle n' Flo
There's so much more left to do
Well I'm not young

But I'm not through
Menomena - Wet and Rusting
I made you a present, you’ll never expect it
And when you unravel the secret will travel, oh

It's hard to take risks, with a pessimist
The Weakerthans - Virtute The Cat Explains Her Departure
For a while, I heard you missing steps in the street
And your anger pleading in an uncertain key

Singing the sound of you that you found for me
Dan Deacon - Wham City
I hope in my heart
that we on a whole
will die
and the earth be left alone
just beast and bee and fish and tree
this hope I wish will someday be
Panda Bear - Bros.
i know myself and i know what i want to do
im doing my best and i want to know is it good for you?
you give me trouble

you give me everything that you've got

ill show you that whats right for me aint for you
Caribou - She's The One
time and time I hear things that can't be true
and it's only talk cause she'll never be so cruel

every night there's a new name on her arm
that I don't think I recognize and it's never strange just how long she stays away
I guess I'll have to compromise
John Vanderslice - Kookaburra
Lightning shot from the sky
It breathed life into every, every living thing
It made you, it made me
It gave us the Kookaburra
It gave us Frangipani tree
St. Vincent - Paris Is Burning
Enclosed in this letter there's a picture
Black and white for your refrigerator

Sticks and stones have made me smarter

It's words that cut me under my armor
Explosions In The Sky - The Birth and Death of The Day
No lyrics here, and none needed.
Caspian - Asa
ditto.

All those that know me, know that I find humor in many things. Well, this year (and many of the last few years) the thing that I found funniest was R Kelly. So to end the list making season with a bang, I present to you the most hilarious song of the year.

R. Kelly - Sex Planet
Girl now that you're next to me
We'll be just like satelites
Watching over the Earth
We'll make space our paradise
Girl I promise this will be painless(painless)
We'll take a trip to planet Uranus
Uh just put your trust in me
And girl i promise destination
will be a trip that you will never forget
I'm gonna take you out of this world
So hold on tight my dear

Hold on tight indeed.

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks