Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Slow week

Since I can't think of anything else to post, I'll just talk about a few albums that are coming out soon that I really like.

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga














I love albums that get better with each listen. Each time you put it on you hear something that you didn't hear before, or a particular song that you thought was "weird" clicks all of a sudden and becomes one of your favorites. This is one of those albums. if you listen to it and don't like it, just listen to it again. It keeps getting better. The horns that seemed out of place on a Spoon album all of a sudden sound perfect. The piano on "The Ghost of You Lingers" may start out seeming repetitive, and it is, but by the third or fourth listen it becomes a highlight of the album. I can't wait to see how great this album is in a few months. Oh, and you've
probably read this before, but "The Underdog" is going to be a big hit. Get ready to hear it everywhere you go this summer. If I were to pick a single it would be "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb". That one will not leave my head. It's on infinite internal repeat.

The Polyphonic Spree - The Fragile Army













I have long been a proponent of The Polyphonic Spree's surreal live show. I have not, however, been so quick to recommend their albums to people. I always told them just to go see them live. Every song on their old albums is better in a live setting and I just didn't feel like their past albums stood up in comparison to that awesome live show of theirs. This album breaks that trend. It is absolutely fantastic. Rather than feeling like sluggish versions of huge, energetic live songs, The Fragile Army's 12 tracks explode out of your speakers. It's so energetic and full of a couple dozen different voices and sounds at all times. I'm so glad that they've finally made an LP that I can listen to and love. It's generally a long time between shows for them and its wonderful to be able to fill the gaps with a great album. The highlights for me are the fantastic "Light to Follow" and it's immediate successor "Watch Us Explode (Justify)". Both of them are chock full of everything you want from a Spree song.


Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is out on 7/10
The Fragile Army is out on 6/19

1 Comment:

Danny said...

bah i dont know why its in two different fonts. i give up.

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks